Thursday, October 25, 2012

SNOW!

Sunlight's first snowstorm hit last night and another one appears to be on the way!
It started yesterday afternoon while I was still at work. I looked out my window to sunshine and calm trees, then just moments later I saw a flurry of snow come swirling out of the sky. Sweet sweet snow! Unfortunately, by the time I left work, nothing was sticking to the ground. I figured that it would stay that way since the ground is still so warm.
At home, it rained steadily through the afternoon. The temperature hovered right around 33 degrees, which made the dog yard a cold, muddy mess. Thankfully, after dark hit, the rain turned to snow. It snowed steadily through the night. Most of it seemed to disappear instantly into the warm earth, but a lucky few inches of flakes decided to stick around.
I always find friends!
This morning was breathtaking. Bright blue skies and everything sparkling white. I took a drive down my road, expecting the ranch to be beautiful. I was not disappointed. The snow had left a fluffy, pure white blanket over the farm land. Driving down my red dirt road, with the green pines, blue skies, and white snow was a wonderful start to the day. As I approached the ranch, I could see black cattle standing out as a stark contrast against the brilliant snow. Even better, I noticed six cowboys walking down the lane. I slowed down and watched as they turned off the road into the ranch land. As soon as they hit the fields, the horses broke into a gallop, with snow flying behind them. I sat mystified as the cowboys raced across the snow heading for the cattle. I fell deeply in love with every single on of them.
Arriving at work, I was happy to see that we got even more snow up here! It's starting to look like a ski area again! I've taken several breaks already to throw snowballs for a coworker's dog and generally just stand in the snow. It feels like home. I was hopeful and brought my Nordic skis up to the mountain today; if it doesn't melt super fast, maybe I can do a couple turns...

Sunlight Mountain Resort

No comments:

Post a Comment