Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Grand Adventures!

Well I've had a whirlwind few weeks. For 6 days, my Dad and I went adventuring in Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, and Mesa Verde National Parks. I could never pick which park I like the most as each one was extremely unique!
Atop the Rim at Bryce Canyon
Hoodoos
The first stop was Bryce Canyon National Park. Driving along, through the desert and then flat farmland, I was not expecting the beautiful site that awaited us. Bryce Amphitheater is a gigantic bowl filled with red sandstone sculptures called hoodoos. The structures can range from the height of a human to ten stories high. Over time, water and erosion sculpted them from the earth, creating this incredible collection at Bryce. Our first evening was spent walking the rim of the amphitheater, looking down into the unknown depths. On our second day in Bryce, we hiked down into the amphitheater. At sunrise, the red rock is a fiery sea with the fingers of the hoodoos reaching up to the sky. It was impressive to see the gigantic sculptures and their defiance of gravity. For a few hours, Dad and I strolled through the maze of Navajo Loop and Queen's Garden. I would love more time in the bowl to get lost amongst the towers, to camp out under their shadow. Someday...
The next stop was at Zion National Park. While we were able to experience quite a bit of the park, I enjoyed our hike into The Narrows the most. The Narrows is an extremely popular hike, but only for those that don't have a problem with cold water (I honestly don't know how I talked Dad into it...). At the very end of Zion Canyon a paved path deposits visitors at a pretty picnic spot. For those wishing to venture further into the Canyon, they must endure the chilly waters of the Virgin River. Since the Canyon becomes so narrow at this point, there is no room for a nice walkway; instead, hikers must slog through 45 degree water into the depths of the Canyon. Thankfully, in most places the water barely reached to our knees. We wound through the canyon as the walls got higher and the pathway narrower. The going was steady and slow as we picked our path up the river; at least the water was clear and the bottom mostly sandy. At one point, we diverted into a side canyon, where you could touch each canyon wall with arms outstretched as they soared 1,000 feet above our heads. Zion seems packed with interesting hiking opportunities. Another one that I'll have to explore further...
The Narrows
Grand Canyon!
I had a friend to enjoy the view...
The third destination was Grand Canyon National Park. I wasn't as excited about the GC as I was about the other parks. I went into it thinking, "Big deal, it's a big canyon. Been there, done that". WRONG! I understand the hype. The Grand Canyon is breathtaking. A wide expanse of rock layers and greenery, so large that even looking at it, the mind has difficulty grasping it's enormity. Dad and I were able to hike into the Canyon to Cedar Ridge Point. It was certainly an odd experience for me to hike down first in order to come back up! The views were well worth the heat and the massive intake of water. We even got to watch as the pack mules hiked out on the switchbacks. Another big surprise of the GC? There are deer and elk everywhere. I mean gigantic bull elk that get a little peeved when a pretty young woman decides to get a little too close to capture a photo. Oops.  At least I got the shot...
Lesson learned: Don't get in a 
rutting elk's face

Our final stop was Mesa Verde National Park. This was completely unlike the other parks. Where Bryce, Zion, and the Grand Canyon were all focused on the beauty in nature, Mesa Verde showcased the beauty in human creation. This area in Southwest Colorado has the largest number of cliff dwellings in the world. The Puebloans lived in these defensive structures from A.D 600- 1300. The old sandstone buildings are inspiring. As an anthropologist, I have a deep respect for the people that decided to perch their homes amongst the cliffs and endure such a harsh environment. There's a good chance I'll be applying for a job as a Park Ranger there next year...
Cliff Palace

The National Parks Tour just wet my appetite. Not only do I need to return to these treasures to explore further;  I am adamant about adventuring into the other jewels of this country. There are plenty to keep me occupied!
Vancouver!



Even after all of this, my vacation wasn't over. As soon as I got home from these unbelievable places, I hopped on an airplane and went to visit my big brother in Vancouver, BC. I went to Vancouver with the intent to look at Graduate Schools. Not only did I find my dream school, I got to eat Phnom Penh too! For those that don't know, Vancouver has a very rich Asian culture; one of Sam's favorite restaurants serves Cambodian food and one of the dishes is dream worthy. Every member in my family speaks of it as something highly revered. And so, along with falling in love with the University of British Columbia, I got to enjoy wonderful food and quality time with the big brother. Oh, and I spoiled my old friend Bella. Don't tell, but I might have let her sleep in my room...sorry Sam!
Bella Coola

No comments:

Post a Comment